From time to time I’ll watch, hear or think something that I absolute must blog about now this minute, and this very afternoon, that happened. Following a hockey match this morning and a walk into and back from Windsor for a hair appointment (more on that soon), I spent the latter part of this afternoon watching ‘Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging‘ which I haven’t watched in years! While it’s quite cringey, it’s a brilliant film and captures teen girl life perfectly.
With all that being said, here are ten things I picked up on in the film that ALL teenage girls will be able to relate to.
1. Many, many hours will be lost talking about boys with your girlfriends – Fortunately I was into horses for years which my Mum swears is the best way to keep your daughter(s) away from boys for a lot longer than without, but once I became aware of the opposite sex, my best pal and I couldn’t talk about anything else. We would talk all day, and then send each other HUGE long emails most evenings about our crushes.
2. When not talking about boys, you’ll be plotting how to get boys (your crushes) to notice you – If only I could admit to you the lengths I went to in order to get my crush to notice me, it’s not that I’m not willing to tell you, I just think those things need leaving in my teen years and between my bestie and I!
3. Thongs to a teenage girl, are considered sexy – They’re not. They are uncomfortable and definitely not sexy. You learn this later.
4. Being obsessed with your boobs, and your friend’s boobs, and your friend’s friends’ boobs -They’re too big, not big enough, too round, not round enough… boobs are everything!
5. Every school has a group of girls you consider to be sluts – I apologise for the term but it’s a term used by teens about other girls who wear their skirt too high, their shirt unbuttoned too low and their tie too short. Girls like me thought boys liked those girls more (psst, they don’t!).
6. Swimming becomes awkward -in the Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging, Georgia suffers a fake tan malfunction with her legs, for me, it was bikini lines; pubic hair ruined swimming for me. I think I might have spoken about this previously ages ago, here.
7. Kissing is a big deal – Until you have your first proper kiss (snog!), it’s a big deal and you do worry about doing it right. Spoiler, you hear horror stories in teen magazines about bumping noses and clashing teeth but in reality, this doesn’t happen, so chill.
8. Girls will fallout over boys… or a boy – Quoting Gretchen from Mean Girls, “Ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends. I mean, that’s just, the rules of feminism.” And it’s true. I had a best friend start dating my ex-boyfriend almost immediately after he finished with me and that was the end of us. But also, friends will fallout over boys and that’s just how it is; with getting boyfriends, you’re in it together until one of you actually gets a boyfriend and the other gets jealous. But you both get over it.
9. You ignore all the boys that are genuine and love you, for the good-looking boy you will never get – it’s true.
10. Wanting to be older before your time – From the age of about fourteen, young girls do everything to appear older, that’s not always to attract attention of the opposite sex, but just so they’re not treated as children. You then reach your late twenties-early thirties and do everything you can to appear younger. Oh the irony!
What advice would you give your teenage self?
Until next time x
Have you entered my giveaway?